Macros can be a huge productivity booster for your end users and can provide a great user experience in using Salesforce. If you have used macros in Microsoft Excel, you already know what it is. Macros in Salesforce also works in the same manner. It helps users perform common, repetitive tasks in a single click. For example, with the click of a button, you can
- send an email to a lead or contact
- update the status of one or more records
- create a task for self and setup due date using relative dates
- create an event (meeting) with Lead or Contact
You create a macro by specifying the instructions for actions that the macro performs. You tell the macro each step that it performs. New Macro Builder in Lightning Experience is an intuitive tool to build your Macros easily in no time. Supported actions are highlighted in blue on mouse hover so you know what actions you can take using Macro. Just follow the exact steps while configuring Macro instructions that you would otherwise perform manually.
There are two kinds of Macros in Salesforce
- Irreversible Macros
- Bulk Macros
These refer to the actions once performed can’t be undone. e.g. If a Macro has an instruction to send an email then once that Macro is run successfully the send email action cannot be undone.
As the name suggests you can run Macro on multiple records at the same time so you can save even more time from your routine tasks an be more productive. Unfortunately, this feature is still in Classic and may soon get upgraded to Lightning Experience
Introduced in Winter ’19 release, you can now organize Macros in folders. Create separate folders for different divisions and then share the folder with a user or group of users in that division. Also, you can set the folder access level and delegate some of your responsibility to your users.
So let’s get started and within the next 30 minutes or so you will be in a better position to create your own Macro according to your business needs. Here is what we will be covering in this guide
- Preparation Steps
- Add Macros Utility to Console App
- Enable Macros Folders
- Create & Share Macros Folder
- Create a Macro
- Run a Macro as End User
(In this guide we will be configuring Macros in an app with Console Navigation. If you are not familiar with Console navigation in Salesforce, here is another step-by-step guide on getting started with Salesforce Console. Macros + Salesforce Console = User’s Productivity on Steroids)
Here is a short video (approx 5 minutes) to bring macros to life for you
References & Useful URLs
- Help Article – Prerequisites for Macros (10 mins) https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=macros_getting_started.htm&type=5
- Help Article – Set Up and Use Macros (10 mins) https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=macros_def.htm&type=5
- Help Article – Irreversible Macros (5 mins) https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=macros_irreversible_macros.htm&type=5
- Help Article – Bulk Macros (10 mins) https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=macros_def_bulk_macros.htm&type=5
- Help Article – Create a Macro (10 mins) https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=macros_create_parent.htm&type=5
- Help Article – Manage Macros (10 mins) https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=macros_manage.htm&type=5
1 thought on “Step By Step Guide On Getting Started With Macros in Salesforce”
how can i use macros to change opportunity stages?