At times you may want to have a report on objects and fields defined in your Salesforce Org. You may want this to document the schema definition in your org or for data migration/integration discussion and mapping.
There is an object called ‘Entity Definition‘ that stores information about standard/custom objects. And you can link it to another object called ‘Field Definition‘ to get details on standard/custom fields defined on that object.
All you need to do is to create a custom report type based on these two objects and use this custom report type as an ingredient in your report. You can then add filters or group by fields or do anything that you can do in a standard report in Salesforce. Your dish is ready.
Here’s a short step-by-step guide which explains this simple process of getting a list of All Objects & Fields in Salesforce in just about 10-15 minutes. Follow this guide to learn how to:
- Create a Custom Report Type for Metadata
- Create a Custom Metadata Report
- View Custom Metadata Report
- Export Metadata Report
References & Useful URLs
- EntityDefinition – Developer Documentation (15 mins) – https://developer.salesforce.com/docs/atlas.en-us.api_tooling.meta/api_tooling/tooling_api_objects_entitydefinition.htm
- FieldDefinition – Developer Documentation (15 mins) – https://developer.salesforce.com/docs/atlas.en-us.api_tooling.meta/api_tooling/tooling_api_objects_fielddefinition.htm