Record Data Sensitivity and Compliance Categorization to Support Data Management Policies
Data Classification is a process of categorizing your stored data according to its sensitivity level. Nowadays, data security is of utmost importance to any organization. They want to secure their customer and employee data from the digital threat. Even Salesforce is no different. Trust has been one of the core values which ensures the data is secure. A Salesforce org is home to hundreds of different types of information which includes sensitive information such as email, mobile numbers, etc. You can classify sensitive data in Salesforce to support data management policies and adhere to compliance.
If you have ever heard the term “Data Classification” in your organization, then this blog post can be useful to you.
Classify Sensitive Data in Salesforce
In Salesforce, you can record data sensitivity and compliance categorization at the field level. Salesforce provides the ability to enable default data sensitivity level for fields. Once enabled it is updated on most of the fields on standard and custom objects. You can then create a report on data classification and analyze the data. You can also upload/download the data classification information.
However, please do note that classifying data in Salesforce is just specifying who is the data owner, what is the sensitivity level and compliance categorization. Classifying data does not impact or drive any functionality in Salesforce. It just provides you specific fields to record the information. And once the data is classified, you can then use it to base your decisions on encryption, users’ data access, reports & dashboards, etc.
The topic of Data Classification in Salesforce is relatively new and untouched. Hence, I have come up with this short guide on How to classify sensitive Data in Salesforce. Within just 15-20 minutes, you will learn how to:
- Enable Default Data Sensitivity Level
- Customize Data Classification Picklist Values
- Update Data Classification on Fields
- Create Custom Report Type for Data Classification
- Create Report from Data Classification Metadata
- Download Data Classification Information
References & Useful URLs
- Set Up Data Classification Metadata – Help Artie (10 mins) – https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=data_classification_set_up.htm&type=5
- Create Reports from Data Classification Metadata – Help Artie (10 mins) – https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=data_classification_report.htm&type=5
- Data Classification Metadata Fields – Help Artie (10 mins) –