In-App Guidance in Lightning Experience is a new Salesforce platform feature that allows Administrators to create and customize prompts declaratively. They can be used to train and onboard users, communicate a new feature or functionality to end-users, etc. All this while Admins were dependent on other mediums of communication like Chatter or Email to reach out to users which were not that effective. With In-App Guidance in Lightning Experience, it turns out that the best way to engage with users is to interact with them inside the Salesforce where they work.
The In-App Guidance prompts are broadly classified into:
- Single Prompt
- Floating Prompt
- Docked Prompt
- Floating Prompt
- Docked Prompt
As the name suggests, you can use these to create only one prompt. They are further classified into:
- Floating Prompt: This prompt can be placed in one of the predefined six positions on the page. Users can move around this prompt if it blocks any of the features on-screen.
- Docked Prompt: This prompt has a fixed position at the bottom right corner of the page. A video can be embedded in this type of prompt. Users can either minimize, maximize, or close this prompt.
These are a series of step-by-step prompts using which you can create a tour for users to introduce a new feature or functionality. A Walkthrough can have a maximum of 10 steps. The only caveat to this is that all the steps have to be on the same page. You can mix and match between a Floating Prompt or a Docked Prompt in the steps.
The walkthrough is a feature of myTrailhead, which is a paid product. However, you can sign-up for a free 30-day trial for the test drive.
Monitor In-App Guidance Usage
You can monitor the adoption and engagement in terms of ‘Views’ and ‘Percent Completion’ for each of your prompts on the In-App Guidance page in setup. You can also reset those metrics.
Going one step further, you can create a custom report type based on the ‘Prompt Actions’ object to get a detailed analysis of your prompts. Finally, you can download pre-built dashboards from AppExchange to measure your prompt and walkthrough engagement. These dashboards contain comprehensive analysis about views, action button clicks, views, and clicks by profile/role, etc.
In-App Guidance in Salesforce will enhance the user experience and which in-turn will help with the adoption. And now you have this step by step guide to get you started with this awesome feature. Within the next 60 minutes or so, after going through this guide, you will learn everything there is with regards to In-App guidance. This includes:
- Create a Floating Prompt
- Create a Docked Prompt
- Preview a Prompt
- Try Out Prompts in Testing Mode
- Sign Up for a Walkthrough Trial
- Create a Walkthrough
- View Prompts as an End User
- Explore Pre-built Prompts on AppExchange
- Measure In-App Guidance Adoption & Engagement
- In-App Guidance Settings
References & Useful URLs
- User Engagement – Trailhead Module (40 mins) – https://trailhead.salesforce.com/content/learn/modules/user-engagement
- Define Prompts in Lightning Experience – Help Article (10 mins) – https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=customhelp_lex_prompt_add.htm&type=5
- Define Walkthroughs in Lightning Experience – Help Article (10 mins) – https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=customhelp_lex_wt_add.htm&type=5
- Create Walkthroughs in Lightning Experience – YouTube Video (4 mins) – https://youtu.be/mpTlNMLSc3o
- Test In-App Guidance in Lightning Experience – Help Article (10 mins) – https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=customhelp_lex_prompt_test.htm&type=5
- Monitor In-App Guidance in Lightning Experience – Help Article (10 mins) – https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=customhelp_lex_prompt_monitor.htm&type=5
- In-App Guidance Best Practices – Help Article (10 mins) – https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=customhelp_lex_prompt_example.htm&type=5
- Considerations for In-App Guidance in Lightning Experience – Help Article (10 mins) – https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=customhelp_lex_prompt_consider.htm&type=5