A step-by-step guide to sending mass emails from Salesforce
If you need to send an email to multiple recipients (e.g. leads and/or contacts) from Salesforce, here are the choices that you have
- Use “Send List Email” from List View
- Use “Send List Email” from Campaign
- Send emails through Apex
- Use an AppExchange Package
- Use Marketing Cloud
- Use Pardot
In this blog post, we will see how to send mass emails using the first two options i.e. using the “Send List Email” feature.
Many times there is a requirement to send the same email to multiple recipients. This can be for sending introductory emails, brochures, invitations, festival greetings etc. In Salesforce, you can send an individual copy of an email to a group of people like Leads, Contacts, Person Accounts, and Campaign Members and there is no need to BCC the recipients to do that.
Sending mass emails from Salesforce is simple. Create a list of recipients. Create an email template with merge fields to personalize each copy of the email and off you go.
When a List Email is sent, an Activity is logged on that particular record with a prefix ‘List Email’. You can view all the List Email records by accessing the List Email object from App Launcher. Finally, you can also create a report using the standard HTML Email Status Report type and analyze key details about your list email such as whether the email was opened, which recipients opened, how many times, etc.
Although this is a cool tool that improves user productivity, there are some important points to note.
Considerations when sending List Email in Lightning Experience
- To log list email activities, list email logging must be enabled
- List email isn’t sent if:
- An email has bounced
- A recipient is missing an email address
- A recipient (contact, lead, or person account) selected Email Opt-Out
- Send List Email button isn’t available in Kanban view
- List email can’t be sent using a Classic Visualforce email template. Similarly, Classic Visualforce email templates aren’t supported in the Lightning List Email action
List Email Limitations
- When sending it from a list view, you can select a maximum of up to 200 leads or contacts only
- List emails count against an org’s daily list email send limit, which is 5,000 emails per day.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to setup and send List Email in Lightning Experience. Within the next 30 minutes, you will learn how to:
- Enable List Email for Your Users
- Send List Email
- Check List Email Object Record
- Create HTML Email Status Report
References & Useful URLs
- Considerations for Sending List Email in Lightning Experience – Help Article (10 mins) – https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=email_list_email_considerations.htm
- Enable List Email – Help Article (10 mins) – https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=email_list_email_enable.htm
- Send a List Email in Lightning Experience – Help Article (10 mins) – https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=email_list_email_create.htm
- List Email Limitations – Help Article (10 mins) – https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=limitations_email_list_email.htm
- Send Personalized Emails to a Group (Lightning Experience) – YouTube Video (4:09 mins) – https://youtu.be/h5NIIUr_5Mo