Here is another guide in the series of guides that we have come up with on how to use different authentication protocols in External Credentials in Salesforce to authenticate with external systems.
(External credentials enable the safe and secure storage of authentication details for external systems. Configured through the declarative, point-and-click features of Salesforce, they significantly reduce the need for custom code that would otherwise be necessary to establish connections and authenticate with external systems.)
In this guide we will learn how to configure & use “No Authentication” External Credential to integrate Salesforce with an external system. But before we dive into this guide, here is an overview of all the different authentication protocols that external credentials support.
Salesforce External Credential Authentication Protocols – Lay of the Land
External Credentials in Salesforce support different authentication protocols to suit diverse requirements. The diagram below shows the lay of the land regarding the various authentication protocols available within external credentials.
In this post, we will learn how to use No Authentication External Credential (highlighted by the red arrow in the image below).
Begin with the End in Mind
Here is what we will be configuring in this guide: Our end goal is to display the list of users returned by an external system that does not require any authentication for making the API call.
No Authentication External Credential Configuration Components
Here is a visual representation of all the components that need to be configured for No Authentication. While this may seem like a lot (and it is), don’t worry. I have you covered with an exhaustive, step-by-step guide complete with screenshots, so that you don’t get lost.
And here is a visual representation of the flow between the Salesforce org and external system.
Finally, here is the overview of steps we are covering in this guide. Step by step, with screenshots.
- Create External Credential
- Create Named Credential
- Create/Update Permission Set
- Create Screen Flow with HTTP Callout
- Test the Flow
References & Useful URLs
- Salesforce help article – Create and Edit a No Authentication External Credential
- List of Guides on External/Named Credential
- Blog Post – Step by Step Guide to OAuth External Credential with JWT Bearer Flow & Google Service Account
- Blog Post – Step by Step Guide to OAuth External Credential with Browser Flow (Per User Principal) & Google
- Blog Post – Step by Step Guide to OAuth External Credential with Client Credentials with Client Secret Flow
- Blog Post – Step by Step Guide to No Authentication External Credential in Salesforce